CNA Classes Online
Taking CNA classes online is a great option for students wanting to become a certified nursing assistant, since it’s a convenient way to enter the nursing profession at an entry level.
Due to nursing shortages across the nation, obtaining a CNA certification will give you great job security and a rewarding career in the health care industry. Some of the advantages of taking CNA classes online include:
- Flexible time schedules: Online classes are very beneficial for people who already have jobs or otherwise don’t have time to go to campus to attend classes. Classes taken online can be taken anytime that suits students’ schedules.
- Featured Video Streaming classes: This is one of the most important aspects of online CNA classes. You are provided with detailed demonstrations on how procedures and other work are performed.
- Decide your period of study: Students can actually cut or extend the time it takes to complete their courses. If you have more free time on your schedule, you may be able to finish in half the time that other students might complete their courses.
- Easy access to a wide variety of resources: Online courses provide an incredible amount of resources for them to draw upon to do their medical research, papers, and other assignments.
CNA classes online prepare students to take the CNA Certification exam, which actually has to be taken in a testing center (it cannot be taken online). The exam consists of two main sections. The first section tests students on knowledge and theory, and the second section deals with how that knowledge is put into use in a clinical setting. One thing to note is that you must take the exam in the same state in which you plan to work, so if you are planning on working in a state that is different than the one you are currently living in, you will need to check into how you can take the test in the state that you are planning on working in.
How do I choose a good CNA program?
There are many CNA classes online these days, so you need to be cautious when selecting a program. One of the first things to look for is state accreditation. There are many programs online that offer CNA courses, but they aren’t necessarily accredited by the state in which you want to be licensed. Some programs are also accredited by nursing authorities such as the National League for Nursing Accredited Commission (NLNA). If you see that a program has both a state accreditation and a nursing authority accreditation, it is almost guaranteed to be a first rate program. Some national schools that offer accredited programs include:
- University of Phoenix
- Kaplan University
- National American University
- Walden University
- Chamberlain College of Nursing
- Independence University
- Mountain State University
- South University
Some other things to consider when looking for a good online CNA program include the amount of hours spent in clinical sessions and theoretical sessions. It’s mandatory that students complete at least 100 quality hours of clinical sessions and 50 hours of quality theoretical sessions. As long as the programs you are looking into fulfill these requirements, they can most likely be trusted.
The last few things to consider when choosing which program you want to go with are hands on experience and financial aid opportunities. Some schools offer a lot of hands on training, and others don’t offer much, if any. This type of training is not necessarily required, but it helps students get their feet wet before diving into their jobs after certification. Financial aid is similar in that some schools offer it and some schools offer very little, if any. Be sure to inquire with the schools you are considering about financial aid opportunities. It may very well be the deciding factor on which program you choose.