Pros and Cons of Distance Learning
A brief look at some of the benefits and drawbacks of distance learning.
by Maryellen Lee
The benefits of distance learning:
- Go at your own pace; however, some programs have specific timelines.
- No classroom to go to, so therefore, no other students to deal with.
- Well laid-out assignments that you know about from the beginning.
- Do it anytime, any place-no commuting time, no parking-you can even do it in the middle of the night in your pjs.
- Set your own goals, find the classes you enjoy, do your own research, be independent.
The drawbacks of distance learning:
- No set deadlines in many cases-for those not disciplined enough, you can procrastinate too much and too long.
- No personal interaction with students or teachers.
- Varied quality of services and websites.
- Some of the private universities can be very expensive.
- You must be self-discipline and able to work independently.